Presidio Building 1808, Nurses Quarters
The Nurses Quarters is located within the Presidio of San Francisco along the park’s Pacific coast just a short walk from the Golden Gate Bridge. This historic (circa 1932) Georgian Revival-style former dormitory was built to house 60 nurses working in the adjacent hospital which treated ailing mariners from around the world. The project entailed the historic rehabilitation of the a 26,000sf building using green techniques. About 80 percent of the historic building fabric was reused -- walls, windows, doors, bathroom fixtures, and even the hardware inside the door handles. This adaptive reuse project converted the former dormitory into a modern office building. The scope of work included a complete seismic upgrade, and new foundations, shotcrete walls, mechanical, electrical, plumbing and life safety systems. The interior and exterior of the building was completely renovated and included complete removal, refurbishment and replacement of the historic roof tiles. New parking lots, hardscape and landscape were also installed. The project is LEED Gold-certified. Records indicate this is the first historic LEED Gold project in LEED-CS and it’s the first Presidio project to earn LEED certification.
Historic Rehabilitation, Adaptive Reuse, LEED Certified
The Presidio Trust